Yesterday (at work) we discussed the dilemma of what you should tell your kid about defending themselves at school if someone hits them. I guess there are three options; hit back, tell, or do nothing.
My son plays very rough. He's a boy, that's what they do! He has gotten in trouble a few times at school for "tackling" and "wrasslin" (as they say in Kentucky). For example, he pushed a kid into a rock wall while they were playing "crashing cars". So when he crashed into him the boy hit the wall and got a bloody nose. Of course, it was a big deal and I got a note about it. Whadda ya gonna do?
Yesterday after long discussions of pre-school violence I picked up my son from daycare only to discover he has a BLACKEYE (dum dum duuumm). He also had small scratches on his face. When I asked them what happened she said "Oh he was 'wrasslin' with another little boy and he pinched the little boys face and the little boy punched him in the face. But not one time did they stop" From what I gathered they just continued on playing like nothing happened. He is still at that age where he can recall a little bit and communicate it but it's difficult. It looked to me they were doing a little more than "wrasslin" but he really seemed to be OK and was oblivious to the fact that his eye was purple and his cheeks were scratched. I'm both proud and scared for him all at the same time! I am taking the roughneck out on a date tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment