It’s hard to believe that I am the proud parent of a soon-to-be first grader. I am still so amazed at all he has learned this year in Kindergarten. I can recall my Kindergarten years. They were fairly simple. We went for a half day. We played with Play-Doh a lot. Some kids even ate the Play-Doh, while others opted for Elmers Glue (keep in mind this was before toys were made of the non-toxic variety). We went to the “Lie-berry” and had stories read to us. There were snacks involved. Life was good.
Fast forward to Kindergarten 2010, my son wears a uniform to a public school. Kindergarten is a full day (no nap). He can now read and write. He can count to at least 100 and knows basic math. There may have been Play-Doh involved but he worked hard. We worked hard. He had homework every weeknight which included him reading from assigned reader. He wrote in a daily journal. He had a login and password for computer lab for crying out loud! Times have changed for sure. I had a Speak & Spell. Remember those? It went something like, “Say it… CAT” which coincidently sounded like GAT in ancient computer-speak. I was high-tech back in the day. I digress.
They know the solar system and have these suspicious “activity folders” on the internet. They are plotting against us. My point is this, they are basically teaching these kids to take over the world. One uniformed youth at a time. In 20 years, don’t say I didn’t warn you!
Oh and remember the pukishly ill incident from a few years ago? We totally blamed that on him eating Play-Doh in daycare that day and not a single crumb of Play-Doh has touched his lips since.
I can't wait for first grade!
No comments:
Post a Comment