I dropped him off at school as I do every morning. He jumps out of the jeep as if a skydiver jumping from a plane. His little feet run with quick short strides into the gym. He always runs. As I pull away I wonder, “Why?” Once he gets into the gym he will sit there until it's time for the children to head back to the classrooms. Why does he run?
Most likely, he runs to be first. Even if he is the only kid being dropped off at the time, he runs. It’s in his nature to be first. In class, he is most likely the first to raise his hand and the first to raise his hand then stand on his tip-toes, despite not knowing the answer.
As a baby, he cried the loudest and longest of all the newborns. The nursery would not even keep him. He has always demanded full attention. He has zeal, which is hard to corral in such a young boy. Truth is, I admire that about him. It’s what makes him shine. The trick, though, has always been trying to find the balance. He is a handful, that’s certain. However, I wouldn’t change it for a second. Being his mom has transformed me and made me a stronger person and for that I am eternally grateful.
Today, he graduates Kindergarten. He will no doubt sing the loudest, clap the hardest and smile the biggest. Then, somewhere in the quietness of the program, his eyes will find me in the crowd. He will smile, quietly wave, blow me a kiss and be the proudest. Then I will fight back the tears, give him a smile, quietly wave and be the proudest...because he is my first :)
4 comments:
Chrissie.... I love it!! Drew is such a sweet boy! I'm glad he got to be your FIRST!! :) He's showing you the ropes now, so your better prepared for the second,third, and maybe even the fourth :) LOL
Happy Graduation Day Drew!! Always keep this attitude... BE FIRST.. stay on top... you'll go far!
((HUGS))
Mama C
Congratulations!
Kindergarten Graduation is the first of several graduations!
Keep up the great work, Drew! Keep up the great work and great attitude! You will go far in you life, oh and listen to your momma....she's a smart lady! :-)
(((((CHRISSIE & DREW)))))
Peggy
Beautifully written...made me cry!
Yesterday I made you cry. Today you made me cry. I wish I could be with you to celebrate your first babies graduation. Such sweet memory making happening.
Post a Comment