There is truly nothing worse then having your child be pukishly ill (it's not a word –yet). Set aside the fact that it's incredibly gross and go straight to their sad eyes looking back at you as their tummy is having fits of rage and having them say "Mommy, something's not right" just before it all comes up. It's the most heartbreaking thing in the world. Last year when this happened for the first time we both cried. This year, it happened to occur while we were driving in our "loaner" vehicle. Folks, I swear I am a magnet for this kind of stuff!
Thursday we were pulling into the drive way after a long day. I park the van and turn around and Bear looked like he was trying to fight sleep. I unhooked his seatbelt and he sat straight up but then seemed as if he was going to faint. I said "Bear? Are you OK?" Three…two….one…… "OH NO!" It went EVERYWHERE, under the seat, on the seat, on him, on the back of the passenger seat, in the seat pocket. I was torn between swooping him out of the van before he puked again and just letting his tummy do its thing then worry about the mess later. I opted for the latter. He said, "Mommy, I'm sorry about the van." as he began to cry. I said "Awww it's OK, Baby" and I reached out to him and he puked on me. I think he puked about three times before I got him out of there. Poor little guy.
Just then, my husband pulls in. He graciously volunteers to clean the van while I clean the boy (and myself). I was able to calm him down and we sat and read stories for a while and talked. He seemed to be OK and wanted to lie down in his bed.
Afterwards, I went out to check on the progress of the clean up initiative. He got most of it clean but if you've ever had someone puke in your car you will know that the worst part of it is trying to get the smell out!! I decided that it was going to need the help of the local car wash so we traded off, my husband stood post beside the baby monitor and I went to the car wash to finish up the detail work.
I had to get it clean and smell free. I was supposed to take the car back the following day so I was freaking out!!! Thankfully, it didn't take that long. When all else fails – oxyclean, water and a shop vac.
He was sick on and off throughout the night. I took off Friday and we stayed home and watched cartoons all day. Not surprisingly, he didn't want to eat. I went out to check on the van. I figured I would have some more deodorizing work to do after it had set all night. I was afraid to open the door but I mustered up the courage anyway. Much to my surprise it just smelled like carpet cleaner (which is what it smelled like when they gave it to me). Hallelujah!! I admit it, I did a happy dance right there. I opened up the windows to help air it out but it really didn't smell bad.
Later, the car place called and said that the part for my car didn't come in and it wouldn't be fixed until Monday. Funny how things work out like that.
The rest of the weekend is a blur. Bear was sick on and off. He has learned that saying his belly "hurts all over" should elicit a very sympathetic reaction from me. He has learned if he doesn't feel well I will hold him and he can sleep near me (which he never really liked to do previously). Now he wants a fire truck bed and he wants to put it in my room . Seriously, it is not like this kid is starving for attention or affection. However, I can't help but take a little comfort, and maybe a little pride, in knowing that he felt safe and secure while he was sick even though he was scared and didn't feel well.
...and having a firetruck bed in my room would be kinda cool
– just kidding (sorta)
No comments:
Post a Comment