It’s winding down on a Friday. It’s a Friday that just happens to be Halloween. All the kids will dress up to disguise themselves from the world. It’s a chance for them to take a walk in someone else’s shoes and see the world through a different perspective.
It’s been a long week. I went to Memphis and back again and for some reason this trip took a lot out of me. I’ve never been to Memphis so I was pretty excited about going. I got lost on my way from the airport to the hotel. Out behind the city lights its not so glamorous. The effects of the economy are bold. A tornado ran through part of the town and rather than rebuild, the businesses just moved on, leaving behind the sarcophagus of fancy restaurants and shopping malls. The residents are getting by regardless.The people sit outside on their front porch and wave at passersby. Some play cards on a table made from milk crates. Abandoned buildings littered the streets. At the time, I was frustrated and scared. I was in an unfamiliar place, lost and alone. Looking back on it now, the images still linger in my mind. It was not something to be scared of. It was the real America. It’s the America that is struggling. It was a reminder to appreciate what you have, even if it's a milk crate, a deck of cards, and close friends to share them with.
This is the site seeing that is really worth while for me. This is the Memphis that you don’t see in the tour guide manual. This was the Memphis that really affected me. I still don’t know how I got lost but I’m glad I did.
We had a corporate meeting today. Layoffs are happening. Holidays are around the corner. Mortgages are due. The bills will still come. Suddenly the Memphis that looked so foreign to me could be happening right here. There was a sudden realization that it could happen that quickly. It could all be gone with a simple decision to mark a name off of a human capital balance sheet. I worked a little harder today even though I felt exhausted. I was worried but had a strange sense that whatever the outcome - it would be OK. I was walkin’ in Memphis.
2 comments:
Your post really hit home for me today. I am a lower seniority secretary for a construction equipment dealership. The other woman I work with has 13 years under her belt while I only have 3. I am now supporting my husband while he cares for his dying father. My husband had to leave his job of over 10 years to care for him.
I try to work a little harder each day to secure my position with my company.
Your blog is a bright spot in my day and I check regularly to see updates. Thanks,
Lynne-Ft Worth
I appreciate that Lynne :) So glad you come by.
Post a Comment