Monday, September 29, 2008

daddy in a dress


It is no secret that I write to clear my head. However, I also write so that I don't forget precious moments like this one. Back in August my husband received his Masters Degree in teaching. It was a very proud day. Both of his boys got to share in his accomplishment. Through all of the pomp and circumstance you can always leave it to a four year old to bring you back to down the ground and let you know where you truly stand in the grand scheme of things.
We all sat so proudly as he walked up to stand in line to receive his hood and diploma; my husbands grandmother, his mother, his two boys and me. Being that our last name starts with a "W" you can say that we waited...forever. We were sitting very near the front of the stage but our four year old still couldn't see so I stood him up on a chair so that he could witness his Daddy's accomplishment. We were the only one's standing but I didn't care. The graduates listened for their names to be called and one by one they walked across the stage in a silent auditorium. It was a very somber ceremony. I quietly pointed out my husband so that my son could see him. Without warning he yelled out "Daddy!! Daddy!!" and he waved to get his attention. You could hear people try to giggle silently as I tried to hush him. My husband turned around and smiled at my son. So as not to be ignored my son yelled louder "Daddy!! Daddy!! When you are done are you going to take that dress off?" Laughter rippled through the audience. And with that my husbands name was called and he walked up to receive his accolades...in a dress.

No comments: