Saturday, September 13, 2008

reading really is fundamental

The alarm was set for 5:00 AM. I was supposed to get up early to study. I am having a hard time juggling everything and I am very behind in my reading assignments. I am learning that early morning is the best time for me to focus. I fall asleep reading (as I did last night) if I attempt to read after 9 PM. The bad news is that I have a paper due today. The bad news is that I just finished reading the chapter last night while me and my eyelids were having an internal UFC match. So what makes today any different? It’s SATURDAY! There is something subconscious in me that just wants to go back to bed and not listen to logic and reason. My id is being denied and is not happy about it!
So how am I doing? Well as you can see I am writing this and not studying. I never realized what a complete learning disorder case I am until I started back to school this fall. I remember being in high school and I had this knack for studying the complete opposite thing that was on the test. I was gifted at anti-study. I always thought it was funny that from a very early age I can remember teachers say “study your spelling” but nobody really showed me how. Odd! It wasn’t until my second year at college that someone actually offered elective course in how to study! Reading comprehension is not my strong suit so I needed all the help I could get. I think I learned more in that class than I did in any of the other classes that I had taken. It’s slowly coming back to me now as I struggle to fill my brain as quickly as I can to get caught up. I’m not having much success.
I envy my husband. He can sit and read a book and remember details and recall facts. He is a sponge (or it seems that way to me). It really is a gift to have the ability to do that. He is also a master speller (something which I am horrible at – and he lets me know LOL). A teacher in high school once told me that I write very well but since I don’t spell gud I wolnt ebber be a righter.
My first year of college, my mom bought me a word processor (it had a flip up screen like a laptop and a printer!!). This was before the age where everyone had a PC in their home and laptops were unheard of. I had a laptop word processor and I could take it with me where ever I needed it to go. I was the only one in my dorm that had one. Wow, I never realized how lucky I was to have that until just now. I need to call my Mama and thank her! Later. Anyway, it corrected my spelling AND grammar. Take THAT Mr Negative High School teacher! That year I wrote an essay for my English Composition class and my professor liked it so much that she submitted it for the “Best Essay Composition” for some scholarship program the English Department was having. Let me tell you that story real quick.
I was invited to go to the awards banquet (which was in a class room with juice and crackers). I was seated amongst my peers, some of which I recognized from my English Literature class and others from my English Drama class. These were English majors and took their reading and writing very seriously. They compete against each other for scholarships. These are the people that argue over edit notes on their papers, seriously.
Anyway, I won the “Best English Composition” which is a cute little award that doesn’t win you a scholarship but it does get you 50 bucks. To them, it was an accolade to add to their record. They all (including my English Lit professor who announced the winner, and looked at me in amazement since I wasn’t doing well in his class because it was a lot of reading and reading comprehension) looked at me like “What?” I didn’t even care, I took my $50 check and out the door I went LOL. That was, ohhhh, seventeen years ago.
Getting back on topic, reading comprehension (and anything memory related) is extremely difficult for me. So it has taken me a while to adjust to my course work this time around. I just learn differently I guess. I have to pre-read, then read, then go back and take notes – then I actually have to commit it to memory (which is the hard part). It takes a lot of time. It takes up a lot of time that I can’t seem to find between work, pre-school, tball, etc. So far I am doing well because I have only had to write papers. Albeit, I had to learn a format for writing papers (APA) and you are only allowed to put a single space between sentences. I did well on my first one. Once they give me that little paper with the dots and a number 2 pencil I’m screwed.
Which reminds me, I better get back to my studies. Thanks for listening :)

No comments: