Wednesday, June 13, 2007

brain fried

Jen and I were discussing the strange phenomena of the scorched brain. Sometimes it's brought on my marriage, sometimes brought on by child birth. Coincidently, mine seemed to manifest itself when I was just a few months pregnant. The fellas I work with can validate that I used to (and sometimes still do) wander the hallways of our office thinking to myself "If I walk around long enough I'll remember where I was headed in the first place". It was amusing at first but toward the end of my pregnancy I began to get worried. I really felt like I literally lost my mind. It went on vacation and forgot to send a forwarding address. Allow me to illustrate…
I was about 8 months pregnant. Some "experts" call it "nesting". It's actually the climax of pregnancy craziness - the Tom Cruise couch-jump of the third trimester. My husband was HORRIBLE when it came to renting movies then forgetting to return them (sorry honey but it's true). It seemed that he would wait for them to call asking for the overdue movies before he would bring them back. So one day in a fit of "Nobody does anything around here… I have to do everything blah blah blah" I saw movies/games sitting next to the TV. I snatched them up, got my keys, and waddled my pregnant arse out the door to take them back to the video store. "I bet he doesn't even realize they are gone" I grumbled. "I'll ask him about it in a few weeks and see if he remembers he even rented them". Yes, I really was that pissed off about movies! Call it hormones, invasion of the body snatchers I had heard it all. Anyway, weeks pass. I have my beautiful crying/screaming baby boy. We get a letter stating that the following games/movies have not been returned and that we owe like $120 in late fees. I go off on another rant that I will not publish. "I took those 'effing' movies back MYSELF! I know I took them back. They don't know..rar rar rar" Weeks go by and we are trying to straighten out the mess. Calling here and calling there. Suddenly, MONTHS later I realize ... ..."Umm honey, I just thought of something". "What?" he said hesitantly. I proceed "I, um took them back to the video store but…umm…I'm not sure it was the right one" "Oh, Jesus" he says as he starts to laugh at me. I couldn't help but laugh at myself, it was so pathetic that it was funny. (side note: if he'da done that - forget about it! But because I did it it was funny, lol.)
We call the other place and ask if they have the movies and sure enough they still had them "in the back" . My husband gets the job of going to pick them up and take them back to their original home. I said "Just tell them your wife was pregnant when this all happened and they will completely understand" It's like temporary insanity.
I have come to the conclusion that it's nature's way of self preservation. Your brain shuts off so you forget how bad it is so you continue to multiply. Apparently mine was pretty bad because my brain still hasn't figured out that it's safe to come out and play with the others.

No comments: