Thursday, June 21, 2007

shine

I search for days to find things that inspire me. Sadly, it's hard to find. With each person I meet I try to find what makes them shine inside. There is a strange phenomenon that allows that piece of them to be hidden far away from who they are on a day to day basis. I find that to be true for myself as well. Everyone is working so hard to be normal, trying to fit in to whatever niche they So maybe the people that inspire me are those that allow themselves to shine in a world that doesn't readily accept that sort of thing. Those that inspire me speak from their hearts without hesitation. They open themselves to the world around them without being corrupted by the inherent negativity. Children provide an enormous amount of inspiration. To them, the world is very simple. My two year old is very righteous. He has a firm idea about how his world should be and will let you know if you violate those boundaries. Perhaps it is at this age where we begin to lose our shine. I remember hearing a lady in the grocery store tell her child "You better act right!" when she saw her child was dancing in the aisle of the supermarket. The little girl corrected herself by standing very stiff with her arms by her sides. She forced her face to become long and stern. Was she providing a caricature of the rest of us? It broke my heart to see her standing at attention like that. It was an unkind reflection. As I walked past her I mentioned to her that she was a good dancer and a smile broke across her icy stare. I don't think her mother appreciated my encouragement though. I admit, I have been guilty of doing that to my son. My rationalization is that there is a time and place for that. But in return, I have learned that I need to seize those opportunities and give him the OK. Like when we walk into the post office after hours to buy stamps. The echo chamber! Scream-fest!

No comments: