My son turned 3 yesterday :: deep breath::
This goes under my topic of "Things I never realized until I had a kid". It's funny how the passage of time is cherished, then feared, then cherished again. I remember being a kids and proclaiming that I was 5 and three quarters!! Then when I turned 10, my grandmother was quick to point out that I was "two numbers" now. I felt very proud that day. Then you can't wait to turn 13 so you can be called a "teenager". Then the obvious 16 & 18 milestones are conquered! Time seems to stand still until you reach 21. You are on top of the world and on top of your game (so you think). Then, without notice you turn around at 28 and gasp, "OMG 30 is coming!!" SCREEECH! You panic. WAIT! STOP! I'M NOT READY!!! (Actually with me, I was more upset when I turned 25 than I was when I turned 30. I don't know why.) Now, that I am 34 (and a quarter) I tend to forget how old I am. I really have to think for a minute when people ask me that question. I honestly forget. Maybe, my focus has changed now that I have a child. It seems like it started all over again. You count each week when you are pregnant. Then we learn to refer to our infant's age in weeks as well. Then we start to count in months. I think somewhere after the 18 month thing I stopped doing that. I put my foot down! Enough with the month thing!!! He is a year and half. Which transitions nicely into, "He is almost 2".
So yesterday he turned 3. It's bitter sweet really. He is a little boy now and moving out of the toddler stage of his life. I mean, he isn't any different today than he was yesterday or the day before that. However, I feel more pressure now. He isn't potty trained completely. I take that as a personal failure on my part. He isn't sleeping in a "big boy" bed. Yes, I abuse the fact that he likes his crib. Why would I want to put him in a bed when I can keep him contained for a little while longer? Indeed, I will milk that one for as long as I can! I had such a hard time getting him to sleep/sleep through the night that I don't want to change anything!However, he loves to be read to and loves to talk and dance and sing. He is pretty social. It's all a trade-off. So I don't sweat the potty-training as much as I probably should. I think he will come around in his own time. But now that he is 36 months and one day, he better hurry up!!
No comments:
Post a Comment