We made it through another move without killing each other! The true test of any relationship is working together on a stressful project. Moving is certainly included under this umbrella. I also think it's pretty safe to say that I flunked that test. Stressimus Maximus. I admit it, I was a complete basket case. Without me taking a day off I was forced to put a lot of the planning in the hands of my husband, something that I do not do well. It was chaos; packing, cleaning, working, painting, working, moving, unpacking, cleaning, working, etc. The packing alone had my micromanager-self flipped out and going down into a tailspin. I will give you a "for example".
I have two lamps that burn tealight candles.
Him: packs a candle, the clock, a pen, whatever is laying nearest to the candle – it all goes in one box.
Me: start with the lamp, go in the other room get the other lamp, go in the cupboard and find the candles that go with the lamp – it all goes in the same box.
Is the world going to stop because of his packing technique? No. Does it drive me bonkers that I have to open every box and sort it all before I can put it away? YES!! I am learning to let it go but when so many things come at you all at the same time it can be disheartening.
Luckily, my husband knows how to "deal" with me. He somehow knows exactly the right thing to do – ignore me. I don't like letting things consume me like that but sometimes it just happens. Despite the fact that I feel totally justified in my efforts to be pissed off and nobody understands!!!!!!
Friday was reserved to pack the truck with furniture only – since we moved most of the boxes already. My son was "helping" by loading lots of empty boxes, making sure to put them right in the middle of the truck.
I'm a pretty handy mover if I do say so myself. I have had a lot of experience. My husband and I have moved 4 times since we have been married! We bought a fixer upper and haven't even had a chance to fix'er-up yet and we are moving again. Like I said in an earlier blog, life presents itself and you have to roll with it, do the right thing and make good choices. This move is a blessing really and I know that deep in my heart. The actual moving part - not so much. I digress.
Saturday we moved and unpacked the necessities. Sunday I spent most of the afternoon tackling the kitchen. You really don't realize how much crap you have until it's all consolidated and sitting right in front of you begging for a home. And then, the inevitable question "Do we really need to keep all of this baby stuff?"
My initial response is a resounding "NO!" But I end up tucking it away anyway. I still have my son's high chair even though he has been out of it for well over a year now. I have fond memories of that baby carrier and lots of his old clothes, diaper bags, changing table, & crib. I totally understand that biological clock thing. The precipice is ever looming. I'm trying to go back to school. That will take a few years to complete if it all works out. Not to mention daycare costs on the rise. Sounds like I am making excuses, right? My final answer is always the same "I don't know". If I had a huge house and all the money in the world I would be happy to have 5 or so, but that's not my reality.
So in the midst of all the craziness as of late, where everything is begging for a spot, I have made a spot for wellness. A room has been created for the purpose of quiet reflection and physical rejuvenation. I am sure eventually life will take over and the wellness spot will be transformed into an online gaming room or something but for now it's all about peace :)
Now…onto cleaning up the old place to try and get it rented. You know, because I don't like getting rid of ANYTHING.
1 comment:
I love your blog.
I too have trouble throwing things away. I have a small house fill with enough furniture to fill a huge one. I am an antique lover and can't seem to pass up a good deal. My goal is to organize my small house in to a cozy home.
Good luck with the move and a quick rental on your old house.
Lynne
Post a Comment