Today I have a dream hangover. I dream pretty vividly sometimes and last night (err..this morning) was just one of those nights I guess. The hangover comes in when I just can't get it out of my head for the rest of the day.
My son was up all night with bad cough and congestion. Poor fella couldn't stop coughing long enough to get any sleep, which means I didn't get any sleep either. So I guess when I finally did get to sleep I hit it pretty hard.
Anyway, I had a dream that my husband and I (along with his grandmother) went to a basketball game. Our seats were up near the ceiling of the arena and our section was nothing but windows all the way around. So we are sitting there and I am spacing out as usual and notice a dark cloud coming towards us in the distance. I nudge his grandmother and she begins to focus on it as it moves towards us. We both watch as the cloud transforms into a small tornado then dissipates before it touches the ground. We both look at each other in disbelief. We almost got hit by a tornado and nobody even knew! We try to focus on the game but our eyes keep dashing out the windows all around us trying to spot another one. The dark clouds are building all around. Except for this one spot of sunshine, the sky is growing completely dark. The spot of sunshine begins to get smaller and smaller and the clouds circle around it creating a huge funnel cloud. This time everyone around us can see it and they panic to try and escape to the lower levels. My husband is on his cell phone oblivious to what is transpiring. I try to get his attention but he does not respond. I grab his grandmother and we head to the stairs, which is now jam-packed with people. Nobody is moving, it's elbow to elbow. The roof begins to shudder and you can hear pieces of it tearing away on the outside. Debris is starting to fly around on the inside of the arena and there is no hope for trying to escape down the bottleneck of people at the stairs so I take her into the bathroom to escape the debris and the next thing I know are flying through the air. I have a pretty good hold on her for a minute then I get hit by a tree and it carries her away. I black out. When I come to we are in a parking lot several miles away. She is lying right next to me like someone/something just placed her there. We are both completely unharmed. There are people scattered all over the place like little sticks. I help Memaw get to her feet and we begin to try and find my husband. We don't see him anywhere in our immediate vicinity so we start to walk back towards the area that now looks like the Colosseum in Rome. There are ambulances and fire trucks everywhere. A corner fruit market is made into a triage center. "We will never find him here" she whispered almost half afraid to let the words come out of her mouth. She starts to cry which in turn makes me cry. I put my arm around her shoulder as we continued on. "He's probably trying to find us" I said realizing it was a failed attempt at trying to reassure us both which only brought up more "what ifs?" After many hours of walking through wreckage and causalities we made it to back to the arena. There, sitting all by himself on a bench outside of the arena, is my husband still talking on his cell phone just as we left him. "Hey! There you are. Ready to go?" he says as calmly as if we wandered off to go shopping. The jolliness in his tone infuriated me. "Can't you see what happened?" He looked around still oblivious. The sudden rush of anger was enough to wake me but it took me a few minutes to realize that it was just a dream. I walked around the house still in a daze and spotted my husband in the kitchen getting ready to leave for work. I couldn't help but mention it to him "I had a bad dream and I'm mad at you." I don't like having dream hangovers. It's like a bad song that you can't get out of your head. It's rather amazing really. Even though you know it was only a dream, the thoughts, memories and emotions that linger in your brain afterwards don't understand the difference. Later, my son wakes up, rather shaken, and exclaims "Brayson got ran over by a garbage truck and he has a red thing on his head and needs a band-aid!" Great, now we both have dream hangovers. I'm not sure who Brayson is but I'm sure he is fine.
Is it Monday?
T-minus 5 hours till my haircut. Chop it all or chicken out? Which will it be?
No comments:
Post a Comment