I’m having a weird day. I think this election has made people slightly crazy. I get that people are passionate about their political views. I get it. In fact, I admire people that have a passion for something in their lives. I enjoy being around that positive energy. However, there is passion and there is lunacy. Lunacy, to me, is when people speak aimlessly out of emotion. It’s when that true, underlying insecurity rears its ugly head and people start to speak out of fear, anger and emotion. It’s so transparent and sad to witness those around you fall from grace and succumb to the negativity. When grown adults revert back to their grade school “I know you are but what am I” behavior it really is a hard fall. They say that when the pressure is on, people’s true nature shines though. I preface all of that to say that this election has taught me a very valuable lesson. It has taught me that even the most beautiful houses can be built on muddy foundations. It forced me to ask myself “Who will you become when your ideals are put into question?” As I get older I realize that I am not as idealistic as I once was. I am pretty steadfast in my convictions but I do not force them down anyone’s throat. I can respect other people’s views. It is the differences of opinion that sparks change. Having the ability to articulate your opinions and work toward a common goal is the essential for refining good ideas into great ideas. It is the difference of opinions that starts the forward movement of change! People have lost the ability to articulate without insulting people and their message is being lost in the lunacy of it all. It reminds me of when my son was still in a high chair, we would try to feed him and he would turn his head. Inevitably, we would all be covered in baby food but we never seemed to hit our target, his mouth! Until one day, I just set the spoon down. He reached down, picked up the spoon, and put it in his mouth. He was hungry for it so he made the choice to pick it up and eat it, not because I made him but because he wanted to. Aren’t we all that way? I can’t really think of anyone that likes to be force fed.
As adults, we refine ourselves. We learn to communicate ideas in such a way that others can relate to, which in turn sparks movement. We focus on the positive and work around the negative. We articulate our point of view so that others see the facts as we see them then let them make up their own minds. Some will follow and some will walk away. That is their choice. Do not take it personally and remember to keep moving forward.
No comments:
Post a Comment