Monday, October 22, 2007

no place like om

So there I am doing yoga in a ski lodge in Colorado with Jason Bourne. We had had a hard day of chasing down moped riding terrorists so we decide to take a break and do some yoga before continuing on our quest to save the world. In the midst of chaturanga dandasana I hear glass shatter and feel something hit the side of my head… I fall to the ground grasping my head and cowering in pain. "You've been shot!" he exclaims as he cradles my head in his hands. He lays my bloody head on a nearby bolster and darts out the broken window to chase down the bad guy. Everything begins to fade to black and I wake up in a cold sweat and a migraine the size of Texas… but only on one side of my head. These are becoming a frequent occurrence, the headaches not dreams about Jason Bourne. I tried to go back to sleep to resume my yoga regime but there was no chance of this headache letting up any time soon.
I roll out of bed and stick my thumb in my temple to try to relieve the pressure – no luck. I fumble around for some Excedrin (the headache medicine) and notice the clock - 4:00 AM, ugh. I force down some Excedrin then close my eyes, open the fridge, grab a can of something, then close it back quickly before my eyes open by accident and I am blinded by both the light and the pain that goes along with it. I press the cold can against my head and sit at the kitchen table and wait ….and wait. I just want to go back to sleep. My skin is starting to go numb but my headache remains. Just for giggles I check the can – Bud light, shoulda got two.
Eventully I start to feel the pressure release. I get up and head back to bed, squeezing my head as I go. This doesn't make it feel any better but it gives me a false sense of security that I am helping it in some way. I pass the clock that now says 4:35. I lay my head on the cold pillow and try very hard to relax . Jason, where are you? This sucks! I can feel the Excedrin working its magic. The pressure is subsiding. I'm … drifting… twitching…starting to…
BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! The alarm goes off to wake up my husband, who, in turn, hits snooze. He continues snoring and I am now wide awake. This could go on for at least a half hour as they dance the BEEP/SNOOZE jig. Fuggers.
Now I am cold. I'm trying to find my happy place. BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! I nudged him, ok ok I hit him -slightly. I think we went through one more cycle of that before he actually got up. I stayed in bed just to stay warm. The dull rhythmic pounding in my head is making me sleepy. I hear my son in the next room – he is laughing. He talks in his sleep so I wait and listen intently. The same kind of listening that you do when you think there is someone/something outside of your house. The world stops and everything is quiet so you can listen for it but at the same time you pray that you don't hear it again. Yeah - THAT kind of listening. All is quiet. There is really no chance of me going back to sleep now. I sit up in bed wondering if I'm in a dream inside a dream. Once I realized that this truly was in fact the start of my week, I got up and got in the shower. I turned the water off and heard type of banging that can only be created by a toddler jumping on his bed accompanied by him singing the theme song to Scooby-Doo.
Happy Monday

No comments: